Brampton Branchline

Discussion in 'Chesterfield History' started by MartynAhoy, Dec 31, 2012.

1. MartynAhoy

MartynAhoy New Member

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member and thought I would get started with something I'm increasingly more interested in! I realise this has been mentioned in other posts (which I've really enjoyed reading) but I thought I'd post some more recent pictures.

I went for a wander the other day on the old Brampton Branchline bridge next to 'The Range' and got a few snaps. I'm going back for more at some point but it was pleasing to see the track still in-situ.

It's been great reading about the old railways in Chesterfield in the other posts - I'm hooked! thanks everyone :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martynahoy/8329821476
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/martynahoy/8328763257
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/martynahoy/8329821258
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/martynahoy/8329821160
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/martynahoy/8328762985
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/martynahoy/8328762891
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/martynahoy/8328762801
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/martynahoy/8328762731

2. leeg

leeg Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You too braved the weather and the bridge huh? Little hidden gems those lines on the bridge aren't they - quite a nice surprise to have been left in situ.

It is my understanding that the missing portion of the span (Lordsmill Street as was) was removed as Network rail didn't want to pay for it's maintenance so was deemed cheaper to have it removed. Shortsighted action now that funds are available to open the Brampton Branchline track bed as a cycle path to the station to be complete by March 2015. Will the tracks be left and surfaced over - time will tell.

3. MartynAhoy

MartynAhoy New Member

I did indeed, it was a bit wet and windy up there!

Thanks for replying! I wasn't aware of the proposed cycle path but it would be great if it came to fruition. However I can't see them keeping the tracks though if they do, which would be a real shame.

4. tenag

tenag Local

I think I accidentally removed this from a different thread but it fits here. It shows where the Boythorpe Incline joins the Brampton branch and crosses the Hipper.

[​IMG]

This is the bridge at the corner of the B & Q car park - the blue building is the back of the Range

[​IMG]
    This is from the other side - sorry about the weeds but the girder is clearly visible.

[​IMG]

5. MartynAhoy

MartynAhoy New Member

Excellent! It's amazing to think that there was once a line up to the top of Boythorpe, there can't be much trace of this now. South of Chesterfield was just a mass of railways!

Thanks for the info!

6. scotty16

scotty16 Member

Hi All

I think the last "trace" of the line going "up to the top of Boythorpe" was highlighted in Beefhearts post

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5061

It's the triangular garden and the strip of land at the back of it. Beefy had a quick look but nothing of the track is left. All you can do is, the next time your walking into Morrisons, is to look to your left and imagine a shunter breaking through the wall and coming to a stop in the middle of the car park.

7. tenag

tenag Local

[​IMG]

Wheeldon Lane originally ran from Low Pavement, down to and across the River Hipper and then up the opposite hillside to the the point where the Brampton Incline entered Boythorpe Colliery. The new Park Road was built from New Square to Queen’s Park and alongside the Park (where it replaced Wheeldon Lane) before it petered out into the original Wheeldon Lane. The three fields to the south of Queen’s Park, later became Queen’s Park Annexe, and a footpath runs from the trees, marking the edge of the fields, straight ahead to a foot-bridge over the incline; presumably it would have originally continued across to Derby Road before the works were built.

By the time of the 1914 OS map, the Annexe is in place; Park Road has been extended to the new Summerfield Road, where the first houses have been built, but the footpath which led to the foot-bridge has gone, as have the tracks of the incline, with the exception of the sidings at the bottom; Boythorpe Colliery is marked as disused and most of the buildings have gone.

If anyone is interested in Boythorpe Colliery look at http://www.aditnow.co.uk/documents/Doe- ... Update.pdf
    Boythorpe Colliery is on p43.

By about 1937 Summerfield Road has been extended to meet Baden Powell Road and the footbridge across the incline would have been about that junction. If you look carefully you can see the gap in the embankment where the bottom end of the incline and presumably the sidings went under the LDECR.

[​IMG]

I think I confused Scotty by referring to the Brampton Incline when I meant the Boythorpe Incline; the post of the overlay for the incline that he did was actually on Chesterfield once had three railway stations.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh4 ... b82b90.jpg

8. MartynAhoy

MartynAhoy New Member

so much great info and knowledge in here! Thanks tenag! I'm on the lookout for some old pictures of Boythorpe Colliery now!

9. tenag

tenag Local

That's what I like enthusiasm - everyone has to start somewhere. Actually I know little about railways and even less about engines but I like looking at old maps and live in the area. Ask me about railways in Brimington or Whittington and I wouldn't have a clue.

10. MartynAhoy

MartynAhoy New Member

Well I was interested in the railways of Chesterfield when I was much younger, but it's an interest that seems to have been sparked again recently - I know very little as well! But like you say - gotta start somewhere!

11. merryweather-r1234

merryweather-r1234 New Member

[​IMG]

Thought you would like this image as it shows the Midland Railway Brampton branch & the LDEC lines from an unusual angle.

The spur off the Midland Railway Brampton branch to the Tube Works was orginially part of the Boythorpe Incline.

12. tenag

tenag Local

Thankyou for that. For anyone who has followed the thread on Ashmore House, the small white building half way down the very right hand edge of the picture is likely to be Ashmore House.

13. merryweather-r1234

merryweather-r1234 New Member

[​IMG]

View of the Brampton Branch before the LDEC Market Place station was built.

14. cfqp

cfqp Member

The slopes in the centre of the image and just to the left of North Lodge, led to the original bridge over the Brampton Branch - there was a prolonged arguement over who should pay for the bridge, the railway, or the Council. In the end they compromised and each paid half. This is the original bandstand - in a different position to where it stands today. Just to the left of the bottom of the roof can be seen the embankment of the raised footpath across to West Bars

15. scotty16

scotty16 Member

Merryweather - could you tell me the date of both these photos please. In particular the first one which matches up very well with the 1914 map a treat. I wonder if the "Bath House", near "Bath Terrace" (located bottom centre of the photo), was for general use or only for the Tube Works employees.

16. MartynAhoy

MartynAhoy New Member

those photos are excellent - takes awhile to get your head around where they are actually taken but a real insight!

17. cfqp

cfqp Member

Sorry I'm not Merryweather, and sorry I can't help with the first image.

Queen's Park was opened to the public on 2nd August 1893,before that it had been closed to the public while the grounds were laid out. In July 1895 the LDECR Co applied to the Parks Committee for 'permission to build a temporary bridge over the road from West Bars to the Park for tipping purposes in connection with the new railway.' The Committee refused permission, but on 31st August the Committee inspected the bridge over roadway, which the LDECR had erected. Therefore it would seem that the photo was taken between 2nd August 1893 and the end of August 1895 as the temporary bridge does not appear on the image.

18. beefheart15

beefheart15 Member

That's a terrific picture Pete, shows nicely how the branchline split to cross Boythorpe Road with the little siding between. What excites me is my belief that you can make out the River Hipper doing its famous (?) left turn as well as the railway making two crossings of the river within about fifty feet. The river was buried under the widened Boythorpe Road in 1926 so the picture pre-dates that date. Wish I had had this piccy for my Holme Brook (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5325&p=49656#p49656) or Dock Walk (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5016) threads.

Strange that the bridges appear to have no safety features at the sides although I suppose no pedestrian traffic was allowed and a small wall would not have prevented a rail disaster.

And for those with an interest in the spooky, is that the ghost of an older railway line round the back of the Wheatbridge Pottery ?

[​IMG]

19. scotty16

scotty16 Member

So, on the origional picture, half way down on the left, is that Beefhearts lost building - the one hidden within the walls of "Just Tyres" (the old glass place) ?

20. beefheart15

beefheart15 Member

Half way down on the right with the smoke coming out of the chimneys ? Its got to be, surely.

21. scotty16

scotty16 Member

Beefy - on the right is Queens Park !!!!!.