Chesterfield once had 3 railway stations

Discussion in 'Chesterfield History' started by leeg, Oct 12, 2012.

1. leeg

leeg Member

OK I know some of you will think I'm boardering obsessive here - but I'm still fascinated by the railways that once graced this town. So thought I'd start a new topic for all things "train".

So here's a link to Chesterfield Central station that was... and feel my pain as you drive along the A61 town bypass....

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/ch ... ndex.shtml

I understand that the tunnel through which this line passed through is still there - only blocked off at the A61 end (see last pic on linked page), however, still visible off Spa Lane where it emerged...

Here is an interesting set of photos... save yourself the bother of getting muddy...
    http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/sho ... 29-04-2012

So if you have info, links or pics to the other long lost gem that was the Market Place station and the elegant viaduct over Horns bridge please feel free to add them (even if they've been posted elsewhere)

2. Davo

Davo New Member

Market place Station is the other one, lovely looking building, not sure what year this was took but you can see the AGD building in the background must have been pretty new then.

[​IMG]

The station would have been in the middle of the eastern carpark of The Future Walk Royal Mail building

[​IMG]

Gutted the Viaduct has gone, must have been so impressive in its day!

3. lucygen

lucygen Local

I love to see old photos of Chesterfield - try not to get sap into trouble though ;)

4. scotty16

scotty16 Member

Leeg

There was a good picture on that facebook site you posted :-

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... =3&theater

It really puts the location of the Central Station into perspective for me. The Museum on the right (just off picture) and the Buck on the left. Am I mistaken or is there a train on the Midland Line top right corner?

Edit ----- From that same Facebook site is this picture, same as the previous but a bit close, and yes there is a train on the other line.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... =3&theater

5. Freak

Freak Member

I posted the pictures on that site that shows the line being demolished and the bypass being constructed. My friend has many old pictures of Chesterfield from that era. I shall try and see if he can scan them for me.

Leeg the second link on the first post, one of the pictures shows looking up at some ladders, where does that come out?

6. leeg

leeg Member

I myself failed to notice on the "disused railway" link the additional link to further photos of Central Station. Check it out if you also missed it.

It would be great to see more of the Market Place station and have yet to see any images of the railway crossing what is now Markham Road presumably on en embankment.

The ladders photo is an access hatch at the blocked off end of the Central Line tunnel - blocked off by the retaining wall forming the A61. I'd love to explore this tunnel but I would be very wary about doing so while it's been raining. However, I am very surprised it has been left open and accessible so "thank you" to the official who deemed it okay to leave it in situ and not simply filling it in like so many others.

7. leeg

leeg Member

Yep sorry - I meant posted elsewhere on this forum.

8. leeg

leeg Member

I suppose it was a natural progression to use a railway bed to form the new road - perhaps the idea of using the tunnel for the road was put forward but perhaps future maintenance countered that idea. At the time the car was really becoming more affordable and train travel on that particular line was substantially less than that of the railway that exists today.

I was talking with my Uncle today (who as a youth was an avid train spotter and cited Horns Bridge as the ideal spot for this past time) and the track to Lincoln was never very profitable so would have fallen under the Beeching cuts whether the Bolsover tunnel was an issue or not.

Also learned from my Uncle, there was an impressive viaduct at Carr Vale once upon a time and he remembers it being blown up. (on purpose I mean!)

9. beefheart15

beefheart15 Member

Am I right in thinking that the final user of the Market Place Station building was a paint and wallpaper shop ? I think I saw a picture once, and I don't know if its still there but there used to be a large garage type building fronting onto The Sun Inn's car park that held the remains of a sign, something like Chesterfield Paint And Wallpaper Company (with a few letters missing). Same concern, perhaps ?

Also, the 'party' shop next to Future Walk is built either on one of the platforms or on the gap between them, indicating the orientation of the station.

10. scotty16

scotty16 Member

Hi all, I've been busy trying to answer Freaks question about the ladder since I wondered where it is was myself. So I got into my Google plane (it's an upgrade from the car Beefy!!) and guessing the tunnels route I spotted

[​IMG]

Close up

[​IMG]

(I think it's near the new court house but being a good lad I wouldn't know about such places.)

The street view from Durrant Road is just trees but from the byepass you see

[​IMG]

So I thought I'd better check with the old maps. Look how close I got. (People must think I cheat, infact I used the Spire, Spa Lane and Hollis lane as my fixed points then looked where the tunnel was).

[​IMG]

So the tunnel actually revealed it's self just about where the wall of the bye pass is (the line then went under Brewery Street). And the ladder must be close to that orifice as was.

11. scotty16

scotty16 Member

Beefheart, I also spotted the "Chesterfield Paint" picture & the sign at the back of the Sun about 6 months ago. The picture you talking about is by David Charlesworth -

http://www.chesterfieldpine.co.uk/art.php?Art=6

You would love the pictures in the Pine Shop (on the right as you walk in). The shop is between the Sun and Dents.

The sign, at the back of the Sun went AWOL about two month ago. I wondered if it was the same sign (it looks like it) and during my "research" I bumped into this :-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/les_wilcoc ... 3287535096

12. Freak

Freak Member

Scotty, Cheers for looking for where the ladders were, brilliant stuff, i may have a peek next time i walk down that way.

13. scotty16

scotty16 Member

Don't fall over the edge !!!!!

14. leeg

leeg Member

Fantastic art work - there is also one of a loco approching Mark Place station. Must pay a visit to this shop.

I think also the station was once a carpet shop (or so i read somewhere)

Great map overlays and research once again.

OK - so i hope this next link works

http://binged.it/T4WKCD

voila - the tunnel entrace on Dixon's Road

You can use Google Street view to see the tunnel and it IS gated off, however, I see no "Keep Out" signs though the proximity of residential properties may be a bit iffy if you're trying to scramble the railings :eeek: , but also take a look at the houses, they have a kind of "tunnel" motif over the top window - coincidence or not?

Now what about this... another birds eye view thanks to Bing - check out the track that is still down on this section...

http://binged.it/T4XZBN

or is it my imagination (quite possibly) ?

15. Freak

Freak Member

No, you're right about the track being there (or at least at the time the picture was taken). i always remember when i was about 5-6 there was an old train cart on top of the bridge that runs over the road from Horns bridge roundabout to town and it was there for a long time. If you haven't seen, there's a post somewhere on The Chesterfield Forum and they're making the entire route of that track into a cycle path. Including rebuilding the bridge on Lordsmill street.

Regarding the tunnel, there were rumours they kept it open in case a war kicked off again so they could get various council members etc down there. i'm not quite sure how true these are though.

16. beefheart15

beefheart15 Member

Well leeg,

I was never very impressed with Bing maps ... until now ! Terrific links !

I think I'll have to have a little trespass, er, I mean snoop, up the curly wurly A61 off ramp from the Hollis Lane end and then a wander off into the trees to see what I can see of the original start of the branchline. Might even end up on the bridge. "The dog ran off, Officer, honestly. She's very old and rather deaf as you can see !"

I've been to the end of the line as far as you can go (the drop down to Lordsmill Street - involves a little squeeze through the fence near The Range). Nothing really remarkable beyond doing it because it was there.

Happy hunting (and posting).

17. scotty16

scotty16 Member

"The dog ran off, Officer, honestly. She's very old and rather deaf as you can see !"

Fenton! Fenton!

18. leeg

leeg Member

Thank you all for the additional info that is being added to this thread - this is what it's all about. Sharing information, stories, ideas etc... fascinating stuff.

Another link of interest - shows the aforementioned ttrack at the time?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemananhi ... otostream/

You could imagine it though - sending councillors down the tunnel these days..... "I'm not going down there.... i'll get my shoes all muddy!". Joking aside - it's good it is left open and kind of accessible and also good to see it hasn't collapsed as i would imagine it is checked for structural integrity regularly and I would expect be filled in and closed if it does show signs of collapse.

OK and so another revelation I found in a small pocket sized book - Chesterfield post War. There was a railtrack turntable on the approach to Market Place station roughly I think just after the bridge going over the bottom of Park Road.

I could be wrong - but is this is the pic looking towards Queens Park (conservatory) the approach to Market Place Station and you can see the circular area possibly the turntable? This looks like there is no lonfer track down - so taken just before complete obliteration to extend Markham Road...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/phot ... =1&theater

19. scotty16

scotty16 Member

Leeg - 1898 map shows the turntable (I think it's far left in your photo).

[​IMG]

P.S. I remember when they built the by-pass. At the time the route to Town was up Lordsmill street (which had a bridge over it). The bridge near "The Range" didn't exist then and the contractors wrote a large "C" with a "L" through it (and "Of Bridge") on a wall/enbankment. If my technical drawing classes worked that was "Centre Line of Bridge", which it soon became.

20. scotty16

scotty16 Member